Safe animal transportation worldwide
Your beloved animal on board? You can count on AIR FRANCE KLM MARTINAIR Cargo´s track record when it comes to carrying your animals safely around the world. Our dedicated staff provides the perfect care for animals. Before, during and after take-off.
Focus on well-being
We´ll do our utmost to make your animals´ journey as pleasant as possible. All animals are transported to the aircraft at the latest moment to avoid unnecessary stress and collected directly after the airplane has landed. During transit and upon arrival our well-trained staff members on sight check your animals´ condition. Moreover, at some airports the animals can enjoy the services of Animal Facilities.
During the flight the animals´ well-being is protected by our specialized care. In addition to the strict hygiene standards, we provide climate-controlled and pressurized compartments on board which are monitored from the cockpit.
Rules & regulations
To ensure a safe, healthy journey, all live animals are transported and handled according to the IATA Live Animal Regulations (LAR). We fully comply with the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES). Furthermore, we are a proud member of the Animal Transportation Association (ATA), the International Pet Animal Transportation Association (IPATA) and the IATA Live Animals and Perishables Board.
At Air France KLM Cargo, the freight transportation of live animals require the assistance of a freight forwarder with specific competence in this kind of transportation. We do not accept live animals directly from private individuals.
If you need any species-specific information, please contact our commercial team
We have specific products for Live Animals such as cats and dogs, ornamental fish, horse, day-old chicks, zoo animals, kettle, hatching eggs and insects.
Cats and dogs
You want the very best for your dog or cat? We do too. Our well-trained staff treats your companion with love and respect. If your pet and kennel or travel bag combined weigh not more than 8 kilos, you can take them on board with you (click here to read all conditions KLM
). Larger animals are welcomed in our climate-controlled, pressurized cargo compartments to ensure your pet´s safety and well-being.
• Our well-trained staff makes sure your Bella or Buddy is the last to be loaded on the plane and the first to come off happy & healthy!
• Kennels are cleaned in transit and on arrival, if possible and necessary
• During transit cats and dogs are temporarily housed in larger kennels and given food and water in our hubs.
• Dog-walking service
• Cats get their own litter box
• AIR FRANCE KLM MARTINAIR Cargo is a member of the International Pet and Animal Transportation Association (IPATA)
Leading stables and equestrian teams choose AIR FRANCE KLM MARTINAIR Cargo to transport their valuable horses around the world. Why? Because professional attendants make sure the horses travel safe and comfortably. In need of special requirements? Our customized approach is ready to offer you a tailor-made solution. You can count on our dedicated services and equipment to take your horses to their destination in excellent condition.
• KLM provides professional attendants on KL flights
• On AIR FRANCE and MARTINAIR Cargo flights, the choice of the approved attendant is yours
• State-of-the-art stalls specially designed for the safety of your horses
• Pre/post-flight stall disinfection/cleaning
• Horses remain in our care throughout the shipping process
• Customized treatment and comfortable accommodation at the animal facilities in the hubs
• Veterinarian on call in the hubs
Chicks and hatching eggs
Your day-old chicks and hatching eggs require delicate handling. AIR FRANCE KLM MARTINAIR Cargo takes special care in creating an optimized environment to ensure a safe and comfortable transport. Our carefully selected network guarantees dedicated handling worldwide. How? By training local handlers to ensure proper pallet build-up and good ventilation, necessary for the well-being of the animals.
• Accommodation at our climate-controlled animal facilities in our hubs
• Specialized care by our dedicated staff
• Pallet build-up with wooden and Styrofoam spacers for optimal air flow
• We are a member of the Association of the European Poultry Breeders (EPB)
Shipping captive-bred and wild-caught fish (marine fish, invertebrates and corals) is one of our specialties. Through our select worldwide network for ornamental fish from various origins, we offer ideal solutions for transportation. The species travel protected in strong plastic bags filled with water and oxygen, and packed in polystyrene foam boxes to provide perfect protection. Keeping the fish in good condition is our priority.
• In-transit accommodation at our climate-controlled animal facilities at the hubs
• We are a member of Ornamental Fish International (OFI)
Specials: from insects to zoo animals
AIR FRANCE KLM MARTINAIR Cargo has an excellent reputation in the field of animal transport, from insects to cattle and zoo animals. Our customized solutions and special procedures for transporting these live specials comply with the highest safety and quality standards before, during and directly after transport. Over the years we have developed valuable and close partnerships with experienced agents and shippers to gain insight into participating zoos and animal reception centres.
• Fully hygienic accommodation at the animal facilities in the hubs
• Specialized care by our dedicated staff
• In-house EU inspection facilities
Note: when hubs are mentioned, we refer to Paris Charles de Gaulle and Amsterdam Airport Schiphol.
Freight forwarding specialists for pets
Need help to select the right freight forwarder? Click arrow to open the list of freight forwarding specialists, in random order, we collaborate with.